"Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter"
I have to say this quote really sums up midnight staff at hospitals. I was given the opportunity to switch shifts and I thought long and hard about it before I made the decision. The midnight staff in PICU, ED and 5W, where I most often work welcomed me and I feel that some of them can be considered family.
Guide. Many of the staff members guide each other. We work with critical patients and sometimes you do not always know the answer or are stressed and scared so someone else has to help guide you. Without that family to help guide you, your job would be over pretty quickly.
Inspiration. We are inspiration to each other. My preceptors on midnights have inspired me to become a kind of nurse I never thought I would be. I never thought I would want to do ICU because I always had the assumption the patients do not interact and they are sedated. Well, that is the case with some of them but the amazing thing about that is you have to be on your toes constantly. You have to critically think a lot when they are that sick. Then you watch some grow up and spend a year of their life with you. The senior staff in the PICU has been my inspiration to keep learning and always wanting to be a better nurse.
Comfort. Sometimes you get very close to patients and you need comfort. Your family doesn't understand, your significant other doesn't understand, your coworkers know exactly what you are going through. Your boyfriend breaks up with you, your coworkers remind you that you are amazing and they weren't worth it in the first place. They start to know more about you than your family because you spend odd hours with them.
I have been away from my midnight families for two weeks and I have to say its tough. I often think about them and miss the teamwork we had. Luckily I can see them for 4 hours of my shifts now and if I stay over, even longer! I love my job and the family I am surrounded by.
No comments:
Post a Comment