Saturday, December 13, 2014

Spread the passion

This semester I took on a new challenge.  I decided to accept a position teaching pediatric clinicals.  At first I am sure a lot of people thought that I was too young and inexperienced to teach clinicals to nursing students.  I have only been a pediatric nurse for 1 year and 2 months, and a nurse for only 2 years and 8 months.  However, experience does not always make you the best nurse.

My students commented on the fact that enthusiasm made our clinical one of the best they have experienced in their program.   I agreed with them and shared that you can get your nursing degree and apply for a job and receive a pay check.  You cannot be taught to be enthusiastic about your job.  This is something that comes within your heart.  If you approach a situation enthusiastically, especially in nursing, your patient will feed off of that and their fear will decrease.  If you are enthusiastic about helping others, they will feed off of that and will in turn be positive about teamwork.

The students also commented that they never felt intimidated.  As a newer nurse I have felt intimidated by many nurses.  All intimidation does is create fear in a new nurse and makes them afraid to ask questions.  The nurse who does not ask questions is the nurse who ends up hurting patients.  We need to work together and accept that not every nurse knows everything about their job.  No question is a dumb question and no nurse should feel superior to another.  We all have different strengths in our skills and that is what makes every unit special.

It does not matter if you are inexperienced or experienced, if you have passion you can make a difference!  

No comments:

Post a Comment