Tuesday, December 23, 2014

More than just a patient

I have taken care of a little guy numerous times over the past year and there is something about this little one that captures my heart.  His mom has numerous little ones at home and when he's at the hospital no one calls to check on him or come see him for the month that he ends up being there.  So every time I go into work (three times a week) I make sure to spend time with him and teach him things.

So far he knows 8 words and can pound it to the nurses when we walk by.  The other day as soon as he saw me enter the room he yelled MEGANNN KISSSES and opened his mouth wide to give me a kiss.  We sat in the recliner watching Polar Express and doing learning activities (must be the teacher in me).

If this lil one ever goes into foster care, you can bet your bottom dollar he's coming home with me.  I went Christmas shopping for him the other day and my mom and I picked out some cute pajamas.  I am looking forward to working Christmas Eve to dress him in pajamas and help him open some gifts in the morning.

Sometimes we need to forget about the interventions and take some time to love the patients.  Loving him teaches me that nursing is not a job, it is a passion.  The reward of his kisses and him knowing my name when he sees me at only two years old is the best reward for anything I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment