Life is all about believing in your self and believing in
others. Right out of high school I went
into Elementary Education because it was easy.
You did not have to write very many papers, there was not a lot of homework,
I was a natural teacher, it was not hard for me and I did not have to learn
much. I did not want to be a teacher, I
wanted to be a nurse, and I wanted to help those who needed it the most. Scared, failure, and science were the three things
holding me back.
I started working in a school and at first loved it. The second year, hated it. It was so political that it made me sick at
times. A majority of teachers would dump
all of the work on us aides and expect us to teach the class while they got
paid the big bucks. They always say that
you must love what you do and I did not.
I was unhappy and decided to make a change.
I had begun volunteering at a camp for children with cancer
called Camp Quality and connected with my camper who was battling Ewing’s
Sarcoma. When I visited her in the
hospital on the day she received the news that there was nothing more they
could do she told me, “If I can battle cancer then you can suck it up and beat
those science classes so you can help more kids like me.” That was all I needed to hear. I quickly made it out of her room because I
knew what was next. The elevators seemed
so far away, not to mention the hug goodbye to her and her father that seemed
like it lasted a year. Once inside the
elevator, I cried and cried and cried some more. Long story short, I cried the whole ride back
to Downriver and decided that day to make a change. I finished out that semester as an education
major and changed the next semester to a nursing major.
In 2012, I graduated from nursing school with the Helen Mae
Dickman Clinical Excellence Award, which is the highest clinical honors award. I dedicate earning that award and my degree
to Payton who helped me to always know that anything is possible when you
believe in your faith. I now love my job
and do not cringe when I have to go into work.
Love what you do, it makes life more enjoyable.
As a young adult, it was hard to leave a life that was so “easy”
to go to a major that consumes your life.
Nursing school is no walk in the park.
You have to give up your life, your family, your friends, your everything
in order to succeed. When you think
about your future, remember that not everything good comes the easy route. You must struggle and hit obstacles in order
to become stronger and successful.

No comments:
Post a Comment