Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Interact with love

Love and Interaction.

I feel like these are the only two words that you need to learn to become a parent.  After spending the past two months working in a pediatric setting I have learned a lot. 

Ever since I was young, I always played the mother in a house setting.  I always set my baby dolls up (the few I had because I was usually playing flag football or letting my dad shoot hockey pucks at my face in the driveway) and played house, always being the mother to them.  When I went to Italy, I was called the “mom” of the group because I brought along a TIDE to go pen (Who would go out of the country for 3 weeks without one?) 

A nurse is a mother, a father, a sister, a brother, a family member that you did not have when you walked in the door.  We act as the support for both the patient and their family members. 

All you need to show a kid that you care is love and interaction.  They want you to interact with them.  Nothing makes me more upset than when a child is trying to talk to a parent or cuddle with them and they are more worried about checking facebook or updating twitter.  When I was young, my mother never had technology to turn to instead of interacting with me.  I think I turned out just fine.  Next time you are in a cafeteria or out to eat, try doing this for me, look to see how many families actually interact or how many have ipads out or iphones.  It is obsurd to me how we rely on technology.  Call me old school but I believe in no telephones at the dinner table or in public places while interacting with others.  


Love and interaction.  Do not ignore the little things in life.  Interact with strangers.  Show your love to those you do not know.  You never know when the interaction of love will make a difference to someone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment