pa·tience
ˈpāSHəns/
noun
- 1.the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.My patience was tested last night. It was the first time in a year and a half I had to go to someone and ask them to go deal with my patient because I was getting frustrated. An 18 year old should be dealt with at an adult hospital. I understand some of them are seen at a Children's hospital and followed because the hospital knows them, but when they need resources that our hospital does not provide they need to be transferred out.There was no working telephone number for a family member so the history was vague. Who drops their child off no matter what their age and does not fill in the medical personnel that will be taking care of the person? It took myself, two nursing assistants, another nurse, and two doctors to try to get through to the patient and we were still unsuccessful.Why did I get so frustrated? I usually can deal with most and have no issues, but I struggled. I need to learn how to not get frustrated and remain calm. However, I am glad I was able to walk away from the situation and find other help for the patient. Some people cannot walk away from frustration and they end up becoming violent. We must be able to tolerate a lot in our field and patience is something we can always work on.
No comments:
Post a Comment