Ive got Confidence. I
know my friends believe in meeee. No
matter what the day may bring, I know I can believe in me.
Confidence can be destroyed very quickly. I was confident in my nursing skills
before. When I left Henry Ford all that
confidence was quickly lost.
IV’s and blood draws…piece of cake for me. There were times when other nurses would ask
me to start their IV. It was just
something I picked up on because of my great preceptor, Matt, at St.
Charles. When I was told I had to draw
blood on a two month old I almost passed out.
Where was that confidence that I used to have? Suddenly what you know is out the door and
you are afraid. Why was I afraid? I have no clue, maybe because it is
unfamiliar.
We tend to become afraid when there is an unfamiliar
situation. However, why be afraid when
we have support all around us? God was
not perfect, he failed at times so why can’t we fail? We have grown up in a society where failure
is looked down upon. Failure is actually
the best way to become stronger and more confident.
I did not fail in that situation, I actually got the blood
right away. Thank god because the mom
was staring at me, the baby was crying, and I was sweating bullets. Another thank god that I did not pass out, as
I have done in a hospital oh, three to four times before in front of coworkers.
My confidence is now back where it was when I left Henry
Ford Hospital in some aspect. I do not
give myself enough credit and I was reminded of that when this email popped up
in my mailbox:
Hi All,
I just wanted to forward the kind words extended
to Megan Maiani, one of our brand new IRP orientees. Thank you, Megan,
for stepping up and doing such a great job. We are glad to have you
here at CHM and part of the IRP team!
Thank you,
MANAGER (name removed for
privacy) RN,BSN, ANM
@ Children's Hospital of Michigan
@ Children's Hospital of Michigan
From:
D, C
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 10:38 PM
To: B, J
Subject: IRP Megan Maiani
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 10:38 PM
To: B, J
Subject: IRP Megan Maiani
Ms. Bowersock,
Hi I am the alternate charge RN and occasional fill in
preceptor on 5 West. I had the wonderful pleasure of precepting Megan a
week ago or so and she was AMAZING. She critcally thinks on the fly,
takes wonderful care of pts and was on top of everything it was refreshing to
precept her. On 11/30 I was in charge and she was my IRP RN, when I found
that out I wanted to do back flips. I unfortunately had to give her the
split assignment which she took with no complaint. At 11p the NAM decided
I can keep her for the whole night and I had an on call RN come in, so I
unsplit Megan and brought her down to 3 pts. Later that night I was paged
with two pts both of them had different diagnoses but they oddly enough both
had scabies, yuck!! I assigned one to Megan and one to another RN but
Megan volunteered to take both so only one RN would be exposed to the
scabies. I absolutely love working with Megan, kind of sad she is an IRP
and not a 5 West RN. Megan is an amazing team player and a very skilled RN
and just a joy to work with. I just wanted you to know that we on 5 west
appreciate the IRP help we recieve.
Thank you,
C D, RN
This boosted my confidence overnight. It is not something that makes your head
bigger, but it makes you realize that you do not give yourself enough credit
for what you do know. Even though
patients are different sized and experience different illnesses than what we
are used to, they are all the same, they need help. We
criticize ourselves too much and try to always be better. Sometimes we need to be content with what we
have/are and know that we are making a difference, big or small.
So next time you are doubting your confidence, know that
someone somewhere is appreciate and recognizing what you do. You know more than you think, and you are
better than what you expect.

No comments:
Post a Comment